24 July 2009

Finding What You've Lost

I can’t ever remember a summer quite like the one we’ve experienced this year. There have been numerous untimely deaths of famous people in the public eye, as well as those who were “not so famous” but equally as significant to those who loved them.

One particular death impacted me more than all the others this year. No, it wasn’t Michael Jackson, but rather a young man named Dandrick Moton.

Dandrick was only 33 years old when he died from a rare form of cancer that claimed his life almost immediately. Although I only met Dandrick once (through his mother – a client of mine), he made an indelible impression on me. He was a big, strong young man (then in his late 20’s) with a tender heart who loved the Lord unashamedly.

When I received the news of his death, it felt like the wind had been knocked out of me. Dandrick was a true servant leader in every sense of word. His sudden death didn’t make any sense to me, because I couldn’t have possibly believed his mission on Earth was done. However, I remember once hearing a quote, "We must trust God even when we can’t track him."

However, my major concern was what kind of comfort could I offer Dandrick’s mom. She and her husband had six children, four girls and two boys; but she and her family had not so long ago lost their oldest son in a fatal car accident just three years ago, and now Dandrick was gone.

So what do you say to someone when life, and in this case death, doesn’t make any sense? We’ve heard all the cliches’ before from, “They’re in a better place now,” to “At least they're no longer in any pain.” No matter how you cut it, pain is still pain, and hurt still hurts, especially when it’s unexplainable and unavoidable.

However, when I told my 13-year old son about Dandrick’s tragic death, and how painful it must be for the family to endure the loss, he gently reminded me of something I once asked him, “Do we really lose someone if we know where to find them?” Of course, this comment refers back to the, “They’re in a better place cliché,” but this time it took on an entirely different meaning.

Several months ago, as I was traveling to (Erie) Pennsylvania on a speaking engagement, I lost my wallet. I had to take three flights (one way) just to get there, so I freaked out trying to remember exactly when and where I had lost it. Was it on the plane, in the airport, on the airport shuttle, and if so, which one and where? To make matters worse, I had a substantial amount of cash in my wallet.

This episode was significant, because if you’ve ever traveled by air, it’s almost close to impossible to get through airport security without any form of identification. So returning home seemed like it would be darn near impossible (or at least time consuming). Not to mention the fact that it was after 2 p.m. and I hadn’t eaten yet, because I had no money, and I couldn’t check into my hotel because I had no credit cards or cash. You can only imagine the kind of stress I was under. The only thing that probably could’ve added to my misery was if they would've lost my luggage (which they didn’t, thank God).

My point is this. Here I was in a place I had never experienced before. Here I was dealing with a loss I didn’t anticipate nor could explain to others. Although I didn’t want to worry, I couldn’t help it. I didn’t know what was going to happen. How would I eat, where would I sleep, how would I survive? All I knew was that my circumstances were out of my control, and all I could do was pray and depend on God for help and comfort. And that’s exactly what I did.

Although I was totally helpless, I watch God work in an amazing, yet simple way. My administrative assistant paid for my hotel room with her credit card; the front desk people at the hotel heard about my predicament and gave me food to eat (on credit), and the hotel continually checked on me to make sure I was taken care of. God showed me that he’s the ultimate provider.

But more importantly, long after I arrived in Erie without my wallet, and after several frantic and futile phone calls to Atlanta and Detroit airports trying to track it down, I received a call from Detroit’s Regional Airport that they had found my wallet; cash included.

Immediately, a peace came over me that’s almost indescribable. I still didn’t know how I was going to get through airport security to even get back to Detroit, but I knew everything would be okay. I had a sense of calm.

When my son reminded me of the question I told him, “Do you really lose someone (and in my case some thing), when you know exactly where to find them?"

Although I couldn’t physically get to my wallet in that moment, I knew exactly where it was. Although I didn’t know exactly when I would get to see my wallet again, I knew I would. And even though I didn’t know what to expect when I finally reunited with my wallet, I was convinced I would appreciate having it a little bit more than I did before. And why was I feeling so confident and at peace? Because deep inside I knew it wasn’t a matter of “IF” I would see my wallet again; it was more a matter of “WHEN.” I just had to be patient and believe in the process.

During all of this, God helped me to grow. Before I even knew they had found my wallet, I sought Him and asked Him for peace. I asked him to comfort me and ease my sense of loss. I asked him to help me stop beating myself up over what I could’ve and should’ve done differently to have avoided the loss. And I also cried out to him to take care of me and provide for me, because I couldn’t do it myself.

I know it’s a stretch equating the loss of a loved one to losing a wallet, but when it comes to God, no experience, whether it’s big or small, is ever wasted if we search for God in the details.

As I personally deal with Dandrick’s death in my own way, I can’t help but take comfort in the fact that we didn’t really "lose" Dandrick; because we know exactly where to find him. It’s not a question of IF, it’s only a matter of WHEN. I just pray that God grants Dandrick’s family the patience to endure. Until next time, stay in His grip!

7 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl Harness said...

Professor Martin, Godspeed you through your talk with the Arkansas administrators. I very much look forward to hearing you speak to the school board folks in Missouri later this month.
Cheryl Harness

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Ben said...

Professor,

I went to school with Dandrick. Even though we only knew each other in passing. Something about him left a mark on me. He was one of the handful of people that I actually remember from school.

Upon hearing of his untimely death, I was driven to look him up.

I only hope that I can accomplish as much in my life as he did in the short time he was here.

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Rachael Erickson said...

Dandrick was a good friend of mine. I have a feeling that he often left most everyone he met with the same feeling, no matter how much time he spent with them. Dandrick and I actually met while waiting in line at the airport for a flight between Arizona and Arkansas. After talking through the flight, we immediately hit it off and exchanged numbers. What was amazing was that we followed through with hanging out- and I found that (small world) he'd gone to school with my boyfriends brother-in-law (at UCA). Dandrick later walked and graduated ASU at the same time my boyfriend did. We cheered him across that stage. He was a real friend. He followed through with the things he said he'd do, or plans he'd make. He put me through some intense workouts at the gym, and would accompany me to a movie when I needed someone to go with. He fully understood the deep desire I had to "accomplish something big". I remember him telling me that he'd once had that same voice come to him...saying that he was meant to "do something big". Ultimately, Dandrick did exactly that. He introduced me to his friends, professional acquaintances that he thought I would click with (since he knew I'd been interested in making an impact with youth through motivational speaking) and was truly one of the most genuine people I've ever met in my life. He had a passion for life, a love for God and was a big teddy bear. I am absolutely devastated to hear of his untimely passing and am simply grateful to have had the opportunity to be his friend. Thank you Professor Martin, for writing about Dandrick. You've reminded me that it's not a matter of where or if, but when we'll see him again.

-Rachael

9:03 PM  
Blogger chenlina said...

chnelina20150828
louis vuitton handbags
longchamp outlet
kobe bryant shoes
ray ban eyeglasses
longchamp handbags
hollister
gucci bags
adidas originals
michael kors outlet
tod's outlet
coach factory outlet
michael kors outlet online
louboutin shoes
coach outlet
hollister clothing store
fake watches
ralph lauren polo shirts
cheap jerseys
polo ralph lauren uk
coach factory outlet
michael kors bags
mcm bags
fake oakleys
air max 90
new jordans
instyler curling iron
cheap jerseys wholesale
kate spade handbags
cheap jordans
michael kors handbags
jordan pas cher femme
christian louboutin outlet
gucci outlet
ray ban glasses
giuseppe zanotti outlet
longchamp handbags
burberry outlet
toms outlet store
pandora jewelry
kd shoes

6:33 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

chanel handbags, burberry outlet, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton, nike free, louis vuitton outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin shoes, prada outlet, ugg boots, louis vuitton, tiffany jewelry, tiffany and co, nike outlet, uggs on sale, ugg boots, louis vuitton outlet, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses wholesale, polo ralph lauren outlet online, longchamp outlet, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet online, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, ray ban sunglasses, gucci handbags, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, uggs outlet, jordan shoes, nike air max, burberry handbags, polo outlet, christian louboutin uk, uggs outlet, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet online, longchamp outlet, replica watches, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, tory burch outlet, michael kors outlet, christian louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online

10:29 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

nike free uk, nike roshe, true religion jeans, burberry pas cher, true religion outlet, sac longchamp pas cher, nike blazer pas cher, abercrombie and fitch uk, nike air max uk, kate spade, coach outlet store online, hollister uk, michael kors, ray ban uk, ray ban pas cher, north face uk, converse pas cher, air max, vans pas cher, replica handbags, jordan pas cher, michael kors pas cher, lululemon canada, true religion outlet, longchamp pas cher, guess pas cher, new balance, polo lacoste, timberland pas cher, ralph lauren uk, north face, coach purses, hollister pas cher, michael kors outlet, mulberry uk, nike air max uk, nike air max, nike roshe run uk, true religion outlet, michael kors, sac vanessa bruno, nike air force, sac hermes, polo ralph lauren, nike free run, louboutin pas cher, coach outlet, hogan outlet, oakley pas cher, nike tn

10:32 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

pandora jewelry, moncler outlet, juicy couture outlet, moncler, doke gabbana, moncler outlet, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, vans, ugg pas cher, louis vuitton, karen millen uk, canada goose, canada goose jackets, montre pas cher, barbour, thomas sabo, converse outlet, pandora uk, nike air max, louis vuitton, moncler, supra shoes, ugg, marc jacobs, canada goose, toms shoes, lancel, louis vuitton, pandora charms, hollister, swarovski, canada goose uk, links of london, doudoune moncler, wedding dresses, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, canada goose, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, barbour uk, moncler uk, coach outlet, gucci, converse, hollister, replica watches, ugg uk, juicy couture outlet, moncler, swarovski crystal, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home