16 July 2010

You Need Your S.P.A.C.E.

             A few years ago, a dear friend of mine challenged me to do something that has literally transformed my spiritual life.  He asked me to seek God earnestly and diligently for 40 days in solitude (early in the morning) and then write down everything and anything God revealed to me each day.  He also promised to do the same (with me), and we would in turn hold each other accountable until the end of the 40 days.
            Just to insure our commitment, we both waged our beloved iPods (to be given to the other) if either one of us failed to follow through. 

            I’m proud (and relieved to say), neither one of us had to give up our iPods, but more importantly, it’s now going on three years AFTER the initial 40 days.  In fact, some of the blog posts I’ve shared with you have come out of my “quiet time” moments with God.  Also, as result, my son and I now seek God together as a result of this little challenge my friend issued; I can’t thank him enough for approaching me about doing it.
            However, initially, I didn’t feel that way.  Yes, I’ve sought God before through Bible reading, devotional reading, church attendance, praise and worship, and prayer.  But my friend proposed a slightly different approach.  He wanted us each to pick Bible verses at random (wherever God led us), and without the aid of Biblical commentary, allow God and the Holy Spirit to speak to us directly without hindrance or outside influence.  We then would record in a journal whatever God revealed to us in our hearts.
            I know this sounds “super spiritual,” but it’s really not.  In fact, as much as I like to write, this initially sounded like a monumental task for me.  I had many questions: What if I didn’t hear anything from God; what if I didn’t understand what I read; what if I couldn’t express my thoughts in words; how much or how little should I write; where would I start?
            My accountability partner, who was much more experienced than I, then suggested a simple formula that has now made hearing from God in my “quiet time” one of the easiest things to do.  In fact, I have to STOP myself from writing too much at times.  I now have enough journal entries to publish my own person devotional.  Wow!  In fact, I plan to have my journal entries published before my son graduates from high school so I can give it to him as a graduation gift when he goes off to college.
            So what’s the formula?  It’s simply this: S.P.A.C.E. 
            Before you open your Bible, write at the top of the page the word “SPACE.”  It’s an acronym that stands for:
  • S – SIN
  • P – PROMISE
  • A – ATTITUDE
  • C – COMMAND
  • E – EXAMPLE
That’s it.  I’ll explain what it means shortly.

Below that acronym, write down the following question: 

“God, what are you saying to me about me today?”

Then simply open your Bible to the scripture (chapter) of your choice, and simply start reading.  As you read, keep thinking about the SPACE acronym:

S = “Does this scripture/passage reveal any sin in my life that I need to confess?
P = “Is there a promise in this scripture/passage I need to claim as my own?
A = “Does this scripture/passage expose an attitude I need to change or modify?
C = “Does this scripture/passage focus on a particular command (from God) I need to obey?
E = “Is there an example in this scripture/passage I need to follow/model (or even avoid)?

            Trust me, if you do this quietly, without interruptions and distractions, I can almost promise you, you won’t get to finish reading the chapter before God speaks to your heart.  If  that happens, I would advise you to stop reading, write down your thought immediately (in one sentence), then resume reading again.  You can always go back and expound on the thought later.
            When you’re finish reading, and you review your thoughts (which I call lessons), pick the one (or two) that stood out the most, and simply write about it (i.e., how you felt, what you thought, what you learned, what you need to do, etc.).  That’s it.
            Again, I can’t begin to tell you how powerful this little exercise has been and what it’s meant to my spiritual growth.  But it just goes to show you, if you just commit just a little time to God, He’ll always make a little S.P.A.C.E. for you.  Just give him room to work through you.  Until next time, stay strong, and stay in His grip!

4 Comments:

Blogger John said...

ugg boots
ray-ban sunglasses
coach outlet
hollister jeans
true religion jeans
ugg boots
coach outlet online
ugg outlet
mont blanc pens
jordan concords
uggs outlet
coach factory outlet
louis vuitton outlet
coach outlet
swarovski jewelry
canada goose jackets
christian louboutin outlet
air max 90
coach outlet
ray ban sunglasses outlet
beats by dre
coach outlet online
oakley sunglasses wholesale
true religion outlet
polo ralph lauren
michael kors outlet online
toms shoes
kate spade handbags
nike air max
michael kors handbags
20151209yuanyuan

5:13 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

chanel handbags, burberry outlet, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton, nike free, louis vuitton outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin shoes, prada outlet, ugg boots, louis vuitton, tiffany jewelry, tiffany and co, nike outlet, uggs on sale, ugg boots, louis vuitton outlet, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses wholesale, polo ralph lauren outlet online, longchamp outlet, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet online, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, ray ban sunglasses, gucci handbags, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, uggs outlet, jordan shoes, nike air max, burberry handbags, polo outlet, christian louboutin uk, uggs outlet, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet online, longchamp outlet, replica watches, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, tory burch outlet, michael kors outlet, christian louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online

10:29 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

pandora jewelry, moncler outlet, juicy couture outlet, moncler, doke gabbana, moncler outlet, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, vans, ugg pas cher, louis vuitton, karen millen uk, canada goose, canada goose jackets, montre pas cher, barbour, thomas sabo, converse outlet, pandora uk, nike air max, louis vuitton, moncler, supra shoes, ugg, marc jacobs, canada goose, toms shoes, lancel, louis vuitton, pandora charms, hollister, swarovski, canada goose uk, links of london, doudoune moncler, wedding dresses, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, canada goose, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, barbour uk, moncler uk, coach outlet, gucci, converse, hollister, replica watches, ugg uk, juicy couture outlet, moncler, swarovski crystal, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet

10:38 PM  
Blogger chenlili said...

ugg outlet online
coach outlet
kate spade
north face
air jordan
replica watches
cheap ugg boots
flops
hollister co
nike outlet
20181.6chenjinyan

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home